Back To School Decor with Countdown

Last year for Back to School I decided to put up some decor and a countdown to help get some excitement going for the back to school time!! I had a small tree that sat on this corner shelf of our kitchen bench so I went to all my diecuts and papercrafting supplies to create some decorations!!

Here is our tree:

Our Back to School tree - decorated with twine bows and mini school icon ornaments and an alphabet letters garland!!

Our Back to School tree – decorated with twine bows and mini school icon ornaments and an alphabet letters garland!!

I used some ABC  circle stickers from Pebbles, Inc to make my garland.  I put the stickers on bigger circles and then sewed them all together in one big long line! For the ornaments I used stickers and diecuts – some of which I put on punched out scallop circles.  For all of them, I punched a hole in the corner and used twine to create a hanger loop.  Last of all, I took some school colored twine and tied random bows on the tree to fill up empty spots!! I used a larger die cut as my tree topper!!

Here is a close-up of the top of the tree:

A close - up of the top of our Back to School Tree

A close – up of the top of our Back to School Tree

On the shelf next to the tree I wanted to keep up the school look, so here is the display I made:

Made this display from a few books we had around the house! A toy school bus and an apple tied with twine completed this arrangement!

Ok, now for the countdown – I hung it in the corner of the bench and Here is how it looked:

Library style pockets banner made to hang in the corner of our bench seating area in our kitchen!

Idea came from this pin here and I adapted what Kelly Brown with Simply Kelly B did as she shared 5 fun ways to count down to the first day of school on Studio 5. She has many great ideas!  I had only a week (hers had 1o days) left til school so that is why I adapted mine and labeled them the way that I did. This countdown was used twice – once with activities to prepare us for school and then I used it at our Back To School Dinner & Celebration (post coming up next about that)!

So here is a look at how all these individual items came together to create our Back to School Corner:

Here is a picture of all the elements together on the cute corner shelf of our kitchen bench seats!!

So, there it is, a few simple things I did to make the beginning of school year a little more fun and exciting for my kiddos!!

Linked this up  here –  hitwithbestshot

10 thoughts on “Back To School Decor with Countdown

This is such a fun idea, Taunya and a great way to get the kids excited and motivated to go back!

Mendi Yoshikawa says:

What a clever way to get the kids excited about school! I love it! :)

This is super fun, Taunya! LOVE these ideas! HUGS and enjoy the rest of your week, friend! :) Mynn xx

You are so clever and really, what a fun way to get children excited about going back to school. I love it!

Fabulous project. What a fun way to get the kids excited about going back to school.

I hope your kids know how lucky they are to have such an inspirational and positive mom! Your project is incredible. So much fun for the kids, and so creative! Thanks for sharing, I would have never EVER thought to do something like this! Hugs…

Darnell says:

What a creative and caring mother you are, Taunya! I was really impressed by the work that you put into these sweet bags and this awesome teachable moment you had with your kids giving them awesome advice in a fun way!! It’s too bad you aren’t super human so you could do something similar for the entire school on the first day!! Your wisdom and talent should be bottled and sold!! Hugs, Darnell

A-DOR-A-BLE! This is seriously one of the sweetest, most unique ‘count downs’ I’ve seen! What a way to amp up the enthusiasm for school starting (we don’t go back until Aug. 27th, with students beginning on Sept. 2…still some days of freedom left. Yayyy…) and let the kiddos know that school ‘can’ be fun *grin* The garland is charming and the back-to-school activities, I can imagine, are filled with fun. Your advent calendars (if you haven’t made any, oh, you must…I’m making one each for my niece and nephew. No ideas perking just yet – I’ve done two, or maybe three, for them previous to this – but something will ‘ping’. I’ll probably need to shop for stuff… *grin*). I second Darnell; you should head into school and teach the kids to make some amazing back to school crafts! They’d be over the moon ecstatic! Off to see what’s next!! Hugs~c

Rosanne says:

Cute idea to create a back to school tree!

Taunya, This is way cute! Maybe you should make me one, so I can get excited to go back to work!! LOL
    Debbie